Canada with DUI

Need Help Entering Canada with a DUI?

Call Toll-Free Within North America

DUI Canada entry

Canadian immigration lawyer focused on Canada DUI entry from USA. We offer free comprehensive consultations (unlike most companies who demand a retainer before assessing your options).

Re-Entering Canada with a Temporary Resident Permit

People who are criminally inadmissible to Canada because of a DUI will often obtain a Canadian Temporary Resident Permit in order to overcome their inadmissibility. Temporary Resident Permits can be issued by a Canadian visa office or at the border in two different formats:

  • single entry
  • multiple entry

This can occasionally cause confusion for permit holders who are unsure of exactly which type they have been issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) / Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC). If your TRP says "departure from Canada will not invalidate this Temporary Resident Permit under regulation 63(b)", then you are likely authorized to leave and re-enter Canada with it. If your TRP does not say this, then the permit could be deemed canceled if you leave Canada.

If you do not have a valid multi-entry Temporary Resident Permit, a leave of Canada without authorization for re-entry is considered a "break in continuity" and can affect a person's ability to re-enter the country as well as their residency status, study permit status, or work permit status. If you are unsure if you can travel to Canada with a DUI after you leave, it might be smart to consult a qualified professional. A multiple entry Temporary Resident Permit will also have a clearly visible expiry date and can be used for re-entering the country as often as the visitor would like as long as it is still valid. Officers have a limited degree of flexibility when interpreting a break in continuity, and short breaks outside of a person's control may not necessarily be an impediment to an extension of status when re-entering Canada.

If you are interested in leaving or re-entering Canada with a driving under the influence (DUI) conviction or driving while impaired (DWI) conviction but are unsure if you are allowed to, phone us for a free consultation to learn what re-entry options are available to you. In general, it is more difficult to obtain a multiple entry Temporary Resident Permit than a one time waiver, especially if an applicant does not provide sufficient evidence that they will need to return to the country in the future.

How Can We Help?

If you have a DUI arrest or conviction on your record and need to enter Canada, call us now or fill out this form! 24 Hour Response Time!